A tattoo procedure for breast cancer survivors who have undergone mastectomies and lost their nipples.
Areola tattoo restoration helps women recover physically and emotionally by creating the illusion of a 3D nipple so they are no longer constantly reminded of the traumatic past every-time they see themselves topless.
This procedure can also be performed for transgender clients to create a more 'typically male' or 'female' nipple and cover up surgical scars.
Bilateral Areola Tattoo Client.
Sadly in Canada, Areola tattooing is not covered by insurance because it is considered cosmetic. This makes an already stressful time also financially straining, and for some, areola tattooing becomes not an option.
I have compassionately priced my services as low as I can to help survivors but materials, training, and overheads all add up.
Your donation will go directly to a survivor in need of this service to offset the cost of the procedure.
My dream is for enough donations to come in so every survivor can get this service FREE OF CHARGE.
Your generosity is appreciated more than you will know and will absolutely change someone’s life.
I offer both virtual and in-person consultations to determine if you are a good candidate, discuss pricing, and give you the opportunity to answer any questions you may have. You can book online by clicking "book a consultation" at the top of the page.
This process is usually complete in one appointment. However, in some cases, clients require a second session (touch up) depending on one's individual healing.
A 6-8 week follow up is booked at the initial appointment to make sure everything healed nicely, add more detail, and touch up areas if needed.
The tattoo will last a lifetime (unless exposed to UV) but may need small touch ups every 5-10 years to put detail back in.
The shorter answer is: no, not in Canada. Patients must pay out of pocket for their procedure. However, it is worth checking and asking if your insurance will reimburse you, even partially. Hopefully with enough demand, this will change in Canada as I, amongst all other artists and patients, strongly believe it should be.
I will supply any documentation they request.
Make sure you have read the pre and post care entirely.
The day of the procedure you will want to wear a comfortable bra and bring any photos of your breast prior to surgery, if you have them (not needed).
The area will be covered with dressings and you will be given your aftercare ointment and instructions.
There is no down time with this procedure and you should be able to resume your normal activities. However, there are a few restrictions: No vigorous exercise for the first 24 hours, avoiding sweating for a week, and no soaking in any bathtubs, swimming pools or jacuzzi’s for a least 7 days after.
This is something that may be camouflaged depending on what your scars look like. This process works best for hypopigmentated scars (meaning, the scar is lighter in color than surrounding skin).
No, the needle only goes into the dermis which is just 3 layers into the skin.
When you meet Lara, she will work with you to determine color and size by first drawing impermanently on the area. Once the color and size is agreed upon, Lara will create dimension with color and shading, giving you a realistic nipple and areola. When the procedure is finished you will be amazed with the results!
No. 98% of the time there is no pain in the reconstructed breast, for the other 2% we apply a topical anesthetic so there is little to no pain.
This client has no raised nipple, the illusion of a 3D nipple is created completely by tattoo on flat skin.
The color will heal less red than pictured. The redness is temporarily caused by the blood at the surface.
Before --> Right After --> Healed.
Another example of how realistic the nipple can look using this technique. She had a flap reconstruction which left a flat surfsace. The nipple protrusion is an illusion.